WELCOME TO SMART CITIES HACKATHON!
The big apple is ready for your talented hacking!
Co-hosted by IBM, IoT Central and WeWork, the event is aimed to encourage the participants to apply their software engineering and data analysis skills to a new and interesting domain and help uncover new knowledge.
Participants are expected to form groups of 3-5 people and register individually.
Please register here.
We'll be using Bluemix. IBM is offering free training. Please click on the picture on the left to visit the Bluemix training site
Eligible for one team. Teams competing for this prize have to use IBM Bluemix platform. IBM is offering a 90-day Bluemix free trial to the hackathon participants. One team will be eligible for $12,000 USD credit good for any SoftLayer server or service. For more information, please see here.
Two commons memberships at WeWork for two months. For more information, please see here .
Top two teams will be nominated for global recognition, and have two additional weeks to prepare for the global competition. For more information please see here
JUDGING CRITERIA (local prizes)
Technical Difficulty: 10%
Please take a look at the global rules, but here's the gist:
1. Create a project page before Saturday. Include the team name as well as team member names, but feel free to leave out project information if you are not sure yet.
2. Complete project information by 5:30 PM on Saturday.
3. Have the demo ready by 3:30 PM on Sunday.
4. The project code has to be written during the weekend. (using an existing open-source library is fine)
5. Create a GitHub repo as early as possible if you plan to open source your project. Contact us to add you into the global-urban-datafest organization. Please note that to participate in the global competition, your project needs to be open source.
Kevin DeLand, Software Engineer, IBM
Masoud Ghandehari, Head, Urban Observatory, Center for Urban Science and Progress, New York University
Arun Sundararajan, Head, Social Cities Initiative, Center for Urban Science and Progress, New York University
Noah Wallach, Community Manager, WeWork. Co-Founder Thepopcrowd.com
Friday, March 6th
6:00PM-6:30PM - Reception and Networking
6:30PM-6:45PM - Brief introduction of the event
6:45PM-7:15PM - IBM introduction and demo of BlueMix
7:15PM-9:00PM - Teams building and brainstorming
Saturday, March 7th
8:00AM - 8:30AM - Breakfast and networking
8:30AM - 8:50AM - Keynote speaker
8:50AM - 9:00AM - Quick discussion about event theme and inspiration
9:00AM - 9:30AM - IBM Bluemix Demo
9:30AM - 1:00PM - Teams start hacking
1:00PM - 2:00PM - Lunch
2:00PM - 6:00PM - Team hacking
6:00PM - 7:00PM - Dinner
7:00PM - 9:00PM - Team hacking and/or networking reception
Sunday, March 8th
8:00AM - 8:30AM - Breakfast
8:30AM - 12:00PM - Team hacking
12:00PM - 1:00PM - Lunch
1:00PM - 3:00PM - Team hacking
3:00PM - 3:30PM - Snacks
3:30PM - 5:00PM - Teams present (3 min presentations with 3 mins of QA from judges/audience)
5:30PM - 6:30PM - Winners announced and prizes handed out
6:30PM - 7:00PM - Photos of winners
Please offer ideas for our hackers to build stuff.
The challenges can be:
1. General - So we could have challenges like: "I wish we knew the air quality in our city." And then a hacking team could build a prototype for a wireless sensor network using Arduino, Intel’s Galileo, etc to measure the air quality using your phone. Such challenges are simply ideas not backed by either prior research or solid data but a lot of imagination.
2. Precise - You can give us exact technical specifications or models you think might work best for your project. It is highly encouraged that you also provide us with some data on your project. This allows our hackers to work on your challenges easily.
We want an ideal mix of both general and precise challenges. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Please use the form below to submit your challenge(s). Please submit them in English
LOCAL PARTNERS AND SPONSORS
WeWork provides small businesses, startups, and freelancers with the workspace, community, and services they need. From weekly events, personalized support, flexibility, and access to thousands of like-minded entrepreneurs in 13 cities around the world - WeWork is the perfect place to grow your business in 2015. We're sharing an exclusive offer only available to DataFest. When you join the WeWork community, you'll receive *20% off* your first two months of membership at all WeWork locations, including new spaces in Berkeley, Austin, and New York. Click here to learn more about joining the WeWork community.
March 6: 6:00 pm - 9 pm
March 7: 8 am - 9 pm
March 8: 8 am - 7 pm